Image for FAQs

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a cooperative agreement among 48 states, 10 Canadian provinces and the District of Columbia which allows a motor carrier to register a commercial vehicle for travel in all member jurisdictions by reporting activity and paying fees to the home (base) jurisdiction. IRP provides for payment of registration fees based on fleet miles traveled and vehicle characteristics. Although IRP registration fees paid to the base jurisdiction are distributed to the jurisdictions in which the fleet accrued miles, only one (1) license plate and one (1) cab card is issued for each vehicle.

Apportioned plates enable a commercial truck to travel out of state without purchasing a permit. When a registrant obtains apportioned plates, a cab card detailing the jurisdictions into which the vehicle is authorized to travel and the weight at which the vehicle can operate in each of those jurisdictions is issued. This cab card becomes the legal registration for the vehicle.

A Motor Carrier is defined in the International Registration Plan as a “person, firm, or corporation engaged in the commercial transportation of goods or persons”.

An Owner Operator is defined in the International Registration Plan is a “person, firm, or corporation leasing an apportioned vehicle with driver to a motor carrier”.

Registration under the International Registration Plan is not mandatory. It is a program for licensing commercial trucks and buses traveling in Louisiana and at least one other jurisdiction, if:

  1. The commercial vehicle is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property

AND the vehicle is a power unit having:

  1. two axles and a gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds, or
  2. three or more axles, regardless of weight, or
  3. a gross vehicle weight greater than 26,000 pounds in combination with a trailer

If a truck meets criteria number one and one of the criteria numbered two through four, and travels interstate in a commercial capacity, either a trip permit or an apportioned plate should be obtained.

If a vehicle has two axles and weighs less than 26,000 pounds, but engages in interstate travel, an apportioned plate may be advisable.  A good rule of thumb in this situation is: “If you make more than one stop in a state while conducting business, then you should have a trip permit or be apportioned."

As a PRISM state, Louisiana requires all holders of apportioned plates to be associated with a U.S. DOT number. The bar code on each cab card contains the U.S. DOT number associated with either the motor carrier responsible for safety or the registrant.

Owner operators without operating authority, who purchase their own plates, need a registrant U.S. DOT number. A registrant U.S. DOT number is for vehicle registration purposes only and does not provide the owner/operator with any type of operating authority. The registrant U.S. DOT number should not, under any circumstances, be displayed on the vehicle. An owner operator (lessor) must provide the U.S. DOT number for the motor carrier (lessee), who is responsible for the safety information.  If the motor carrier responsible for safety has filed updated MCS-150 data within the prescribed twelve-month period, only the U.S. DOT number and FEIN of the motor carrier must be provided.  Otherwise, a current copy of the MCS-150 for the owner operator and motor carrier must be filed.

Motor Carriers who have not obtained a U.S. DOT number must complete MCS-150 and MCS-150A forms to apply for a U.S. DOT Number. The IRP Unit will assist carriers in obtaining US DOT number or carriers may contact the U. S. Department of Transportation for assistance.  A Motor Carrier is required to have a U.S. DOT Number prior to operation.

The MCS-150 form must be updated annually.  This form can be updated online at (  To update the form, click on "FMCSA Registration & Updates" and follow the instructions. A MCS-150 will be included in the IRP Renewal packet.  The updated from should be returned with the completed renewal packet.

Motor carriers who transport certain hazardous materials, in interstate, intrastate and foreign commerce are required by FMCSA to have a HM Safety Permit.  A list of the hazardous materials requiring a HM Safety Permit is available online at the FMCSA website: ( in the "FMCSA Registration & Updates" section.

Carriers transporting hazardous materials of the type and quantity requiring a permit must file a MCS-150B with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.  A statement that a Form MCS-150B has been filed must be submitted with your apportioned renewal application, if this form is required.  Form MCS-150B is filed in lieu of submitting the MCS-150 data. The MCS-150B form is available on the FMCSA website: ( in the "FMCSA Registration & Updates" section.  If the carrier does not have internet access, Forms MCS-150 and MCS 150B can be obtained from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. 

Local FMCSA Service Center

5304 Flanders Drive
Suite A
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Phone: (225) 757-7640
Fax: (225) 757-7636

U.S. DOT numbers can be obtained online at in the "FMCSA Registration & Updates" section.  If the carrier does not have internet access, the IRP Office or the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, U. S. Department of Transportation can provide assistance.

Local FMCSA Service Center

5304 Flanders Drive
Suite A
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Phone: (225) 757-7640
Fax: (225) 757-7636

All payments must be submitted in the form of certified funds (i.e. cash, cashier’s check, money order, certified check, com-check).  Credit card and eCheck payments will be accepted soon

A trip permit is a temporary authority document issued to allow an apportionable vehicle without an IRP apportioned registration to travel in a jurisdiction in without obtaining an IRP plate. A carrier should secure a trip permit prior to entering a jurisdiction for which they are not apportioned. Trip permits for travel in Louisiana are valid for 48 hours at a cost of $50.00 and can be obtained through one of the wire service companies (listed below), Louisiana State Police - DPS Weight Enforcement Division Port of Entry Scales, and Office of Motor Vehicles.


​​​​​The following OMV Offices provide IRP Program services. 

​​​​IRP Available Offices
9310 Normandie Dr.
Shreveport, LA 71118​
5602 Coliseum Blvd
Alexandria, LA 71303
Lake Charles
951 Main St.
Lake Charles, LA 70615​
5171 NE Rd
Monroe, LA 71203
 3241 N.W. Evangeline Thruway Ste. A
Lafayette, LA 70507
100 Veterans Blvd. 
New Orleans, LA 70124
​Baton Rouge​​(East)
7701 Independence Bld.​
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
1514 Lindberg Dr. Ste. 100
Slidell, LA 70458
108 Capital Blvd. 
Houma, LA 70360

​​​​ ​​​​ ​​​​ ​​​​​​